Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The New Cat

the cat
Looks like I've been adopted by a cat. Yesterday morning I stepped out the front door, and this young little orange and white cat came quickly padding up to me, rubbing against my pants leg. I scratched its ears and it started purring. It arched its back and I scratched its back. Then the cat rolled over on its back and lay there at my feet.

All day long, every time I set foot outdoors this cat would materialize out of nowhere and come padding up to me. It kept following me everywhere I went, after a while learning not to get tangled up in my feet. The cat wanted to follow me indoors, though I managed to draw the line there, except for once or twice when the cat did manage to slip inside the garage and I had to shoo it out again.

The cat was such a beggar, and so tiny and scrawny, that it persuaded me at last to bring out some tuna salad, which the cat hungrily ate up. I also brought out some milk in a plastic yogurt cup and the cat lapped it up with its tongue. Well, okay, I admit that when I went grocery shopping yesterday, I did pick up some cat food. The cat seems to like the salmon with crab meat just fine. It eats the food, then it comes up to me and wants me to scratch its ears.

the cat
I don't know if this cat is going to hang around here. But if it does, I suppose I'd better feed it. Only it had better stay outside. Until the colder weather, when I suppose I could rig up for it in the garage some sort of an insulated cat shelter.

*Sigh* As you can tell, this is a losing battle. The cat has already won.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

Somebody has gotten you into the the Secondary literature section of the Charles Sanders Peirce bibliography page at Wikipedia, but getting the cat into there too -- that's going to be a challenge.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:57:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

OMG I'm in the Peirce secondary literature bibliography!!!!

Hmmmmm... I suppose it might be possible also to work Peirce's parakeet in there. Or was it a budgie, or a finch, or whatever? Where is the reference in CP, something about joking and feeling sympathy with the bird? Ah, here it is via Google:

"I know very well that my dog's musical feelings are quite similar to mine though they agitate him more than they do me. He has the same emotions of affection as I, though they are far more moving in his case. You would never persuade me that my horse and I do not sympathize, or that the canary bird that takes such delight in joking with me does not feel with me and I with him; and this instinctive confidence of mine that it is so, is to my mind evidence that it really is so."

Okay, canary. And according to the online source that's CP 5.314. (Sitting here in the glow of my computer screen in the pre-dawn dark, I'm disinclined to get up & turn on the light & haul the volume down off my bookshelf to doublecheck.)

Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:50:00 AM  
Blogger kitten said...

i got a cat just like that i think there a rare breed. orange white with a white dot on there back, warning this cat will grow up in to the biggest cat you will ever see. idk why but when i was studding this breed the cat is HUGE! its like a monster cat not fat but big. but their the sweetest cats..... tyson.emily@gmail.com

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home