Friday, March 30, 2007

Cherokee Font Mystery

cherokee font
The Tetrast and I are trying to solve a puzzle here. Yesterday I posted in a comment some material written in Cherokee, which I copied from the Cherokee version of Wikipedia. It ought to look like the screen capture above: at least, that's how it looks on my computer. But the Tetrast reports that on his computer he can't get it to display properly. Not even after downloading and installing a Cherokee font.

I'm just scratching my head here. There are several free Cherokee fonts available out there. Some time in this past year I downloaded and installed one of these fonts, can't remember which one. And ever since, I've been able to see Cherokee just fine in my browser.

I look in the two places on my system (Linux, to make matters worse) where most of my fonts are located, can't find that Cherokee font. It probably has some utterly nonobvious filename. In the Opera browser, under International Fonts, I find Cherokee set to "Automatic." I even went into the font controller in the Mandriva Control Center, can't find that Cherokee font. It's there somewhere on my computer, but I can't track it down.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? After sleeping on it, the only other idea that occurs to me is to change encoding selection in one's browser from "Automatic" to "Unicode."

7 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

The Cherokee font (available at http://www.cherokee.org/) which I have is like the Symbol font, it uses the replaces the ascii set with special symbols. The Wikipedia article from which you copied is using Unicode values up in the (decimal) 5000s.

So let's check on Unicode Cherokee fonts.

Found them, installed one, told my browser to use it for Cherokee script, and it works.
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Cherokee.html

Friday, March 30, 2007 7:53:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Ah, well that solves that mystery then! Now if only I could find where that Cherokee font is located on my system...

Friday, March 30, 2007 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's all greek to me

er, it's all cherokee to me

Friday, March 30, 2007 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

But maybe some day when we've learned...
Cherokee ascii will return,
Will return, will return, WILL RETURN!

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

But maybe some day when we've learned...
Cherokee ascii will return,
Will return, will return, WILL RETURN!

Friday, March 30, 2007 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Yes, maybe some day when we've learned...
Cherokee ascii will return,
Will return, will return, WILL RETURN!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

Aye, maybe some day when we've learned...
Cherokee ascii will return, will return,
will return, WILL RETURN! WILL RETURN!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home