Thursday, January 11, 2007

Slow in the Wintry Head

You ever have those days when you just feel slow in the head? Not like you've actually got anything, but just not quite functioning? This is one of those days for me. I just sit in the old wicker rocker, covered with a wool blanket, with a hot water bottle against my head, and a cup of coffee clutched between my hands, as much for the warmth as for the caffeine.

Very seldom do I feel slow and just not quite with it, unless I'm actually ailing. But this is one of those times. I seem to hit days like this more this time of the year, January or early February. It doesn't feel at all unpleasant, just like something in me won't quite shift out of first gear. Seasonal whatever? Perhaps. If so, like I say, it's not unpleasant. Just out of the ordinary for me.

Nor will an inveterate insomniac like me complain over how, when I'm in this phase, I find myself easily sleeping long hours at night. I'd almost forgotten how it feels to get more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep at night, to awake refreshed in the morning. Refreshed but slow. As if waking were a continuation of sleep by other means.

It may well be a seasonal thing. If so, I'm not complaining. Only please don't ask me to run any sprints or do any somersaults when I'm in this mode.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home