Monday, August 28, 2006

Neon Genesis Evangelion


One of my many odd interests is a Japanese anime series called Neon Genesis Evangelion which came out back in the 90s. Bought the entire series several years ago on videotape. Then bought it all over again on DVD. I've watched every episode numerous times, some of my favorite episodes probably 50 times. (!!!) It's about some giant robots (the Evangelions) fighting creatures known as the Angels which are attacking Tokyo-3 in the year 2015. Fifteen years after a catastrophe known as the Second Impact, which wiped out half the human race. Only a few select youth are capable of synchronizing with the Evas and piloting "mankind's ultimate fighting machine" in the battle against the Angels.

Weird conspiracies, cosmic mysteries, dense plotlines, and intriguing character development. Rocking battle scenes. Strange Freudian motifs. And I'd bet all that kabbalistic symbolism flies right by most viewers. For instance, the Human Enhancement Project is nothing other than the kabbalistic "mending of the vessels," with Unit 01 as Adam Kadmon...

I discovered on YouTube this excerpt from Episodes 1 and 2, Shinji's first battle piloting the giant robot, Evangelion Unit 01. Music not part of the original, I guess adding a new "soundtrack" is part of these remixes. Anyhow, very cool battle scene.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Emanuel Högberg said...

Hi! I recently created a new Evangelion blog, in which I'll write just about anything that's about the series, the new live-action movie etc. I was thinking that it might be fun to let others do some posting too, and I wonder if you might wan't to be a part of it? As you've seen the series so many times, and as you've noticed the Freudian themes, you'd probably be able to add some really good posts. Also, I am a bit curious about that kabbalistic symbolism... So check out the site as it is right now at emangelion.blogspot.com, and e-mail me at variabel@bredband.net or simply comment what I wrote if you wan't to be in, or if you've got any good ideas or whatever. //Emanuel

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home