Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Odd Breakfast

Well, I find I'm running low on groceries after this Memorial Day weekend. So I had to scrounge around this morning for breakfast.

First off, lemonade in place of orange juice. I don't know that there's really a cosmic difference between a lemon and an orange. But lemonade for breakfast seems somehow disreputable. I mean, orange juice is eminently respectable, middle class, bourgeois. Whereas having lemonade for breakfast is sort of like wearing a swimming suit to church.

Then I hit upon the idea of Log Cabin syrup on toast. Again, what is the difference between Log Cabin syrup and strawberry jam or orange marmalade? And even at the breakfast table, syrup on pancakes is nothing out of the ordinary. But somehow syrup on toast sounds like the sort of thing I would've been tempted to try (but never would've gotten away with) back when I was a kid.

Ha! One of the joys of being an adult, and living on one's own, is that one can eat a shocking breakfast. Next thing you know, I'll be having Spring Grove soda pop for breakfast. Black cherry flavor! Or maybe even a can of lima beans.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diet Mountain Dew (or regular) is the best breakfast "juice" there is.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its nice you find shock-value in breakfast! Now, if you try the lima-beans make sure to use tabasco sauce.

Usually, I just have whatever random leftovers made it to the fridge the night before. Which I'm sure would make your hair stand on end most days!

Although, occassionally, if a small sweet-natured child whispers in my ear while I'm waking up "maaaaaeeeeeee, lets have wafffffffffffles pleeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz" I've been known to make Belgium waffles with assessories. Just for the joy of being able to say "yes" sometimes!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

Occasionally I have a pint of ice cream for dinner. Especially on a hot summer evening. Maybe mix some "natural" peanut butter, or slices of banana into it. Maybe not.

Friday, June 02, 2006 10:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home