Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tunes That Get Stuck in Your Head

Ever get a piece of music going in your head, and you just can't get it to stop? Like the tune is just stuck in your head?

Yeah, I'll get a tune stuck in my head sometimes. Not often, but once in a while. When it happens, though, it can just about drive me nuts. Seems the harder I try to get rid of it, the more it sticks in my head. In my case, usually it's golden oldies rock music.

But one of the worst bouts I ever had came from reading a piece written by Mark Twain. He starts off with a little ditty that begins, "Punch, brothers, punch with care, punch in the presence of the passenjare..." And (as I suspect Twain intended) it was days before I could get this piece of doggerel out of my head.

Tell you what, I'm in a cruel mood this morning, so here's a link to Mark Twain's Punch, Brothers, Punch. Only don't say I didn't warn you.

Bwahahahaha!

3 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

When I was younger, I sometimes used to drive myself for days at a time trying to remember a song from which the barest snatch or flavor kept flashing in my mind. I remember this in particular with a song which, for some reason, kept being eclipsed in my mind by "Georgie Girl," and which turned to be "The Happening." ("I look high, I look low, I look everywhere I go..."). I mean, I was more into the Beatles and Led Zeppelin, but such songs kept nagging at me.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:02:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

Actually, it's great with the Internet now, you can look up the lyrics of any old song. I was shocked when I read the lyrics of "Lightning's Striking Again" -- I had thought that it was basically some sort of innocent romance song.

I have to admit, no doggerel or other set of words has ever insistently cycled through my head, except when set to music. Only music does that with me.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:13:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

I've read Twain's article and, you know, I'm getting to like those words. I've got a jingle to go with it in my head. I hear a banjo accompanying.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home