Thursday, April 06, 2006

Comment Spam, and Coughing

Insomnia does sometimes have its benefits. I got up last night in the middle of the night, and discovered that someone had posted thirty pieces of comment spam to my blog in a matter of minutes. All similarly worded comments which included a link to an alleged anti-spyware site. "Alleged" in that I suspect it was actually quite the opposite of "anti-spyware." As in, "visit us and get infected."

Oh well. Whenever I receive a comment on a blog post, new or old (and most of these were old posts of mine), I receive an automatic email notification from Blogger. So it was simply a matter of going through new email in Thunderbird, and deleting the comment spam from my blog almost as fast as it was posted in the first place. And, may I note, within only an hour or two after it appeared. Like I say, insomnia hath its benefits.

This is what I get for turning off word verification the other day— you know, type qwwkltso or whatever, to make your comment appear. Talk about brain farts, I can't even remember now why I did this. Well, once again you will have to type qwwkltso.

Now if only I could figure out the odd comment spam I've been getting, word verification or no, about once a week this past month or two. Usually on an older post of mine, a brief squib containing a link to some bland and completely off-topic Fox News story. Anybody else been getting these? Oh well, they don't survive the next time I check my email.

And all the above is the good news, relatively speaking. The bad news is, I've come down with something in my chest, deep wracking cough, phlegm, had a fun time getting through last night's midweek lenten service. And here comes Holy Week. I've got something scheduled this evening, but I'm spending as much of the day as I can flat on my back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr Deep, MBChB said...

how do you delete comment spam?

cheers

Monday, April 10, 2006 7:41:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Well, first you have to be logged in to your Blogger account.

Then (if your blog is structured the same as mine) click on either of the links at the bottom of the post (for example: "7:39 AM" or "2 comments") which take you to the post's individual post page, which will have comments at the bottom. Each comment should have a little garbage can icon beneath it, right alongside the time that comment was posted.

Click on the garbage can icon for the comment you want to delete. This should take you to a verification page, and when you verify that yes, you really want to get rid of the comment, it will be gone.

Alternative plan: go to the post's individual post page, and down beneath the most recent comment, click on the "Post a comment" link. This will take you to the page from which comments are posted, where once again each comment will have its own garbage can icon.

If you have your Blogger account set to email you a copy of each comment as it is made, then from within the email you can click a link which will take you in your browser to the appropriate post page, and once again you will find there the garbage can icons. This is handy when you get, as I did, 30 pieces of comment spam at once, spread over 30 scattered blog posts, many of them more than a year old.

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home