Monday, February 13, 2006

Sunday Afternoon Dreams

So after a busy weekend, I lay down Sunday afternoon and dozed off for about three hours. Sort of faded in and out, and at one point during the afternoon, I remember a fragment of an odd dream.

It seems I was walking down a long corridor with two other men, one of them an older man and the other one his flunky. And the older man was mentioning that he was going to dispatch his flunky to perform some nameless mission. And I said, "Very well, do that if you will; but be forewarned that it will push us beyond the tipping point." I well remember that ominous phrase, beyond the tipping point. "And be aware that it will hasten the day when you and I must meet in battle."

And now, in the dream, as the three of us stood there in that long corridor, I had a sudden precognitive flash, as if of the day of battle yet to come: the older man and I, fighting in a deadly duel with light sabers, like something straight out of the Star Wars movies, vvvhhhhhmmmmmm! vvvvhhhmmmmmmmmm! kzzzzt! vvvvvhhhmmmmm! kzzzzakkktt!!

And then in the vision I saw how, in the coming day of battle, the older man (he looked something like Chancellor Palpatine) was going to slice my hand off with his light saber, my hand and my light saber going flying off through the air. Only then there would be horror on his face, as I telekinetically recalled my hand and joined it right back in place, and then by Jedi-like telekinesis I recalled my light saber and reactivated it, vvvvhhhhhhmmmmm! vvvhhhmmmm! brrrzzzzzaaakkt!! as I attacked him anew and pressed him back in deadly light saber battle.

And now in the dream we were standing there, the three of us, in the long corridor, and with my vision of a future combat yet to come, I knew that I could not be defeated; for even when destroyed I could not be put down. And a pneumatic door slid open suddenly beside us, and the older man and his flunky departed from me down that side-hallway, to put their scheme into motion. Only I could see on the older man's face, as they left, that he could tell I had just had a precognitive vision of the future battle which he and I must some day fight.

I guess this is one of the differences between men and women. Women are more likely to have a Sunday afternoon dream about... well, I'm not going to get myself into trouble by speculating, though somehow I imagine it would be something more civilized, more grown up, and perhaps also more down to earth. Whereas on a Sunday afternoon a man (much like a boy) is apt to have a dream of walking down a long corridor, a dream of dire counsel and darkly spoken words, a dream of a deadly final battle to be fought with light sabers, vvvvhhhhhhmmmm! kzzzzz'kkt! vvvhhmmmmmmmmm!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And there you have the explanation of many a man's downfall ... the supposition that women have more civilized dreams.

Monday, February 13, 2006 9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

LOL!

And the downfall of many a man is also that he tends to have the very same kind of Sunday afternoon dreams that he would've had back when he was 10 years old. Though actually back in my day it would've been Star Trek dreams instead of Star Wars dreams. I thought Mr. Spock was cool.

I suspect the origin of this dream was that after church on Sunday, two boys (ages 10 and 11) wanted to show me their newest Star Wars toys. Wow! A tie fighter and an X-wing fighter built out of Lego blocks! Well, in my day it would've been a plastic scale model of the USS Enterprise, but same difference. :-)

Monday, February 13, 2006 4:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home