Friday, September 23, 2005

What's Your Home Page?

Since I'm on a browser kick, I may as well mention that over the years I've had only two home pages on my browser.

Way back in January 1998 a friend of mine showed me his computer, which he had hooked up to the Internet down in his basement. I'd seen people websurfing before, but this was the first time I'd ever had the chance to sit down and try it out myself. My friend signed me up for a web-based e-mail address with Excite.com. I used this address over library terminals, still have it today though I don't really use it any more. Anyhow, when I finally got my own home Internet connection in the summer of 1999, I adopted Excite.com (which in those days was a fairly popular portal site) as the home page on my browser (which in those days was Netscape 4).

Went along like this a few years, and then in late 2001 the Excite.com portal went under. I guess it was one of those dot-com boom-to-bust stories. The portal resurfaced again after several weeks, under new management, and rewritten in some horrible javascript-heavy format which took a good 45 seconds to load. So I found myself looking for a new home page.

Looked around, checked out several possibilities, and finally settled on FoxNews.com, which has been my home page ever since. Note, since I use the Opera browser, I have my start page set to about:blank; my home page comes up only when I press the "home" button on my browser.

How about you? What's your home page?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home