Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Aquamobile Is Failing


For the past five and a half years I've been driving the Aquamobile: a 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer, 4x4, 2 door, 4.3 liter V6 engine. She's called the Aquamobile because she's painted public swimming pool aqua. Excellent vehicle, dependable, runs like a top.

I live on a gravel road far out into the countryside, five or six miles from the nearest state highway. Moreover, this corner of Iowa is filled with hills and bluffs and deep valleys— it is anything but flat. In my line of work, I have to do much of my driving on these winding and often steep gravel roads. I have received emergency calls in the middle of the night: I have to be ready to go, no matter what the weather, no matter what the roads are like.

The Aquamobile has stood me in good stead these past several years. But now I learn that the transmission is about to go. I've had the transmission replaced in a couple of vehicles I've owned over the years. But I'm afraid that taking everything into account, and with the odometer about to hit 200,000 miles, it just isn't worth it.

Not to worry, though. I've got the situation well in hand. More news on the vehicle front soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home