Thursday, May 19, 2005

Teeth

Well, today I went to the dentist for the first time in going on 20 years. First time since December 1986, to be precise.

Good news is, my teeth and gums are in unusually good shape for someone who hasn't had his teeth so much as cleaned since the middle of Ronald Reagan's second term in the White House. I'll need to have a few fillings replaced, but what the hey.

Bad news is, those teeth in back on the lower left are not so good. (Well, this I've known for years.) It looks like I'll need two crowns back there; and extract the remaining root tips from a third tooth which more or less spontaneously came out in two large chunks about two and a half years ago, with the promise of bridgework to come.

(Oh, do I remember when that tooth came out, two years ago last winter! Truly a season of counting the hours until I could take more aspirin...)

Irrelevant free-association detail: did you know I still have every tooth I ever lost as a kid? Along with every single silver dime the tooth fairy ever left me?

Must be something about me and teeth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. E said...

That is pretty awesome!!! I have not been blessed with the luck that you have. I have not seen the dentist in approximately 3 years, and when I last did, the Chief Dentist at Ft. Hood told me that I needed the other two wisdom teeth pulled because they were rotting. They are still there, rotting away... I have dental insurance, but I do not know for how long as I will soon be unemployed and looking for another job 3000 miles away.
But anyway, my mouth is my father's fault, as bad teeth and receeding gum lines run through that side of my family. My brother and sister, who took on from my mother's side, have pearly white teeth that need few adjustments if any each year. Oh well.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Yeah, I myself was quite surprised that I got off as easily as I did, after almost 20 years away from the dentist. On the other hand, my grandmother, who is 100 years old and going strong, also has good teeth. She does have some bridgework, but most of her teeth are her own, and still in good condition.

As the dentist told me, "You must have good genes."

Monday, May 23, 2005 6:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home